Friday, August 29, 2008

Mushroom Soup Causes Emergency Landing

In the world of weird airline incidents, this one from Ryanair has to make the top 10.

Two passenger jets had to make emergency landings after two incidents, involving a leaking jar of mushroom soup and a microwave fire, this week.

Hundreds of holidaymakers had their flights disrupted as the planes were diverted to ensure passenger safety.

In the first incident, passengers on a Thomsonfly flight to Gatwick panicked when black smoke filled the cabin minutes after take-off from Pula, western Croatia.

The flight was forced to turn back to the airport where investigating technicians discovered an "installation error" in the plane's galley microwave.

A spokesman for Thomsonfly said the oven fire had been "immediately contained" and there was "no danger to passengers or crew", who were delayed for eight hours.

In the second incident, on Monday, a passenger on a Ryanair flight from Budapest to Dublin needed medical treatment after a jar of soup leaked in an overhead locker, dripping onto his face.

The man suffered swelling to his neck and struggled to breathe, forcing the aircraft to be diverted to Frankfurt, in Germany.

Yesterday, Ryanair said the leaking jar had contained a "vegetable oil/mushroom soup type substance" which had caused an allergic reaction.

The Boeing 737 was delayed for two hours while doctors treated the man.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Google