Monday, July 21, 2008

State Department to Issue Passport Cards

For those of you who travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean islands and worry about taking your complete passport book on the beach with you, the U.S. State Department has come up with an option for you, the U.S. Passport Card.

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card has the same period of validity as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Borneo Falcon said...

The card looks good